Monday 11 March 2013

Wheel Forge

I've been looking to make my own forge. I was thinking of using something like a gas cylinder, but then I found the idea of using a car wheel. I had a spare one of those so I gave it a go.
The hardest part was probably getting the tyre off. I managed to break the bead with a big crowbar, but could not lever the tyre off. Taking it to a garage seemed like cheating, so I cut through the bead and then it came off OK.
To duct the air in, I used a 11/4" pipe. I had a piece with a T in it, the idea being to let the ash out easily. That was welded onto a steel plate with some 1/4" holes in, and that was welded (tacked) into the centre hole of the wheel.
Top view of the tuyere. Note the dents in the rim form unsubtle tyre removal.

Bottom view
In action
For a blower I used the heater box from a Range Rover. I simply pushed the controls over so that the air was coming out of one hole, then put a duct over that made from 3" drainpipe. The two were connected with some vacuum cleaner hose, probably about 30mm diameter, all held together with duct tape, what else. Not totally efficient but it worked.

I'm trying to get hold of some proper blacksmith's coke, but in the mean time I tried it out with anthracite nuts.  As you can see, the hot spot is small but most definitely hot. That 10mm bar is getting to welding temperature there.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.