Sunday 24 March 2013

Forge v0.2

The forge worked OK, but some improvements were needed. The hot zone was quite small, and I thought the relatively small duct was not helping. Off came the tube elbow, replaced with a 2" tube (once the housing of a Landrover shock absorber). I joined that to the blower with some 65mm aluminium duct (actually bought for the purpose) with a tomato can as a joiner (normal service is resumed). To allow more air through, i put more holes in the tuyere plate.






I managed to get hold of some proper forge coke. Lighting it was an absolute nightmare, it took about 6 attempts. I think this is because the coke was damp. I blocked up some of the new air holes with fire cement, in case the problem was lower speed of the blast. The air still comes out over a wider area than the original version, which does seem to have made a larger hot spot. Maybe I'll open them up again one day to compare. Anyway, it seems to be working, eventually.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.